ASBA Bylaws December 2016 (PDF–138K)
Governance handbook: December 2016 (PDF–885K)
Minutes Fall General Meeting 2015 (PDF–147K)
Minutes Spring General Meeting 2016 (PDF–181K)
Mission, Vision and Guiding principles
Promoting excellence in public education.
- ASBA is a respected and influential provincial association of locally elected school boards.
- ASBA supports publicly elected school boards in their efforts to ensure that students in Alberta have the opportunity to reach their highest potential.
- ASBA is the leading voice advocating for public education in Alberta.
- ASBA is energized by the enthusiastic participation of its members.
Guiding principles are high level directional statements that define the Alberta School Boards Association’s values and parameters.
- Public education — public, separate and francophone jurisdictions – must be governed by locally elected school boards.
- School boards must have the autonomy to make decisions in the best interests of the students and communities they serve.
- School boards must have access to equitable funding to fulfil the mandate of educating their students. A portion of this funding must come from property taxes.
- Direct access to the local property tax base and the ability to tax are fundamental to school board autonomy, accountability and responsiveness to their communities.
- The Alberta School Boards Association will sponsor or provide input to any amendments to the School Act and regulations.
- School boards are responsible for communicating with their communities about the local public education system.
- School boards are responsible for providing quality public education to their students.