Background: Alberta School Boards Association’s 2020 Fall General Meeting Awards Ceremony
Each year during ASBA’s Fall General Meeting, the Association recognizes excellent first-year teachers, long serving trustees, outstanding school boards and citizens who contribute to public education in Alberta.
November 18, 2020, Edmonton, AB
Edwin Parr Teacher Award
Alberta School Boards Association established the Edwin Parr Teacher Award in 1964 to honour former association president Edwin Parr. A long-time trustee in the early 1900s, Parr instituted an “Annual Teacher Award” in his school jurisdiction. This award is presented in recognition of superior scholarship, outstanding performance, and demonstrated commitment to children and education during a teacher’s first year of teaching.
The 2020 Edwin Parr Teaching Award recipients are:
- Nicole Cooper, Zone 1 – Grande Prairie, AB
- John Maxwell and Katelynne Ringuette, Zone 2/3 – Fort McMurray, AB
- Steven Prediger, Zone 4 – Ponoka, AB
- Josh Eberley, Zone 5 – Calgary, AB
- Nathan Comstock, Zone 6 – Drumheller, AB
Chosen by the President of the Alberta School Boards Association, this award is bestowed upon an individual who has made an exemplary contribution to education.
The 2020 President’s Award recipient is:
- Rick Massini, Vice Chair of Medicine Hat Public School Division – Medicine Hat, AB
Friends of Education Award
This award recognizes organizations in the community that show commitment to improving education for Alberta students and who have made a significant contribution to education in Alberta.
The recipient of the 2020 Friends of Education Award is:
- The Royal Canadian Legion District 4 Command, nominated by Wolf Creek School Division – Millet, AB
Long Service Award
The Long Service Award recognizes significant contribution to trusteeship. The 2020 recipients are:
- Misty Featherley, Sturgeon School Division – Morinville, AB
- Elizabeth Kohle, Sturgeon School Division – Morinville, AB
- Terry Jewell, Sturgeon School Division – Morinville, AB
- Kendall Severson, Battle River School Division – Camrose, AB
- Jodi Trembecki, Grasslands Public Schools – Brooks, AB
Public Engagement Award
Presented to a school board in recognition of their public engagement efforts, recipients of this award must demonstrate how they inform and involve stakeholders on school jurisdiction plans, programs and services.
The 2020 Public Engagement Award recipient is:
- Foothills School Division for their multi-layered community engagement strategy for the 2020-2021 school relaunch – High River, AB
School Board Innovation and Excellence Award
This award is presented to a school board for its role in launching innovative programs and initiatives that enhance student achievement. This prestigious award is sponsored by Xerox.
The 2020 School Board Innovation and Excellence Award recipient is:
- Living Waters Catholic Separate School Division for “Beyond the Classroom (Life Skills).” – Whitecourt, AB
This year, the awards were sponsored by Alberta School Boards Association (ASBA), in partnership with Xerox Canada (School Board Innovation and Excellence Award).