COVID-19 Coronavirus FAQs and Helpful Documents
What is COVID-19 coronavirus?
The World Health Organization (WHO) declared a pneumonia outbreak of the COVID-19 coronavirus a pandemic with sustained risk of further global spread.
“Coronaviruses are a large family of viruses. Some cause respiratory illness in people, ranging from mild common colds to severe illnesses. Novel coronaviruses, like COVID-19, are new strains of the virus that have not been previously identified in humans. This means people have no immunity against it and there is no specific vaccine or treatment. If you think you’ve been exposed to COVID-19, stay home and call Health Link 811 for instructions.”
Check the Government of Alberta website for the most up-to-date information.Click here
How does this impact ASBA members?
Will my ASEBP coverage be impacted with my travels?
Please check the ASEBP page on COVID-19 for the most current information.\
COVID-19 Update – Your Pension Is Secure
With the COVID-19 situation resulting in significant volatility in financial markets, many people are concerned about their financial well being. As a member of the ASBA SiPP, you can be rest assured that your SiPP pension remains secure. The SiPP is a defined benefit (DB) pension plan, which means the pension paid for your lifetime is calculated based on your earnings and eligible service (subject to maximum pension limits). Your SiPP pension is not affected by fluctuations in the financial markets and will provide you with a secure and predictable retirement income for life.
What is ASBA doing to inform members?
ASBA is actively monitoring the situation and is committed to providing timely updates based on changing conditions.
ASBA is in touch with Alberta Health and Alberta Education staff regarding the situation in Alberta, and have been assured that we will remain in close contact on any updates.
ASBA provincial and local events
Will you be closing the ASBA office?
We value all of our staff and contractors at ASBA, and will continue to be diligent to ensure their safety and health is our priority. We do not anticipate any disruptions to serving our members. ASBA will continue to monitor the situation closely.
Is ASBA still hosting provincial/local events and activities?
Provincial and local ASBA events will be examined on a case-by-case basis, and attendees will be notified if events will be postponed, modified or cancelled.
What can you do to protect yourself?
- Visit the Canada’s Public Health website for details on prevention, how to be prepared, and advice.
- Distribute informational posters around your office and among staff via email. Staying informed is the best form of protection.
- Research the credibility and accuracy of news sources and do your part in preventing the sharing of misinformation. Read information about COVID-19 from reputable resources
Where can you find more information?
- Provincial updates on COVID-19 – here
- Prevent the Spread Poster (Alberta Government) – here
- Alberta Health Services Health Link if you are experiencing symptoms – here
- Alberta Health Services COVID-19 information – here
- Government of Canada travel health notices – here
- World Health Organization – here
- World Health Organization myth buster graphics – here
- Canada’s Public Health website – here