Running for school board trustee?
Election day is Monday, October 18, 2021
If you are a new candidate, congratulations on making the leap into electoral politics. If you are running for re-election or you have run before, congratulations on seeking community representation once again. You are taking the first step in an important democratic process. Our school boards are important decision-making bodies, and your desire to take part in this process is crucial for their democratic function.
Watch the video below to learn more about the campaigning process!
Nominations for the general election will be open between January 1, 2021 and September 20, 2021. For summer villages, the nomination period can occur in June and/or July, with election day held 4 weeks after the nomination period closes. Check with your local summer village for specific dates.
This manual can be used as a resource when planning your upcoming campaign. It contains some of the key tactics and considerations necessary for developing a successful campaign.Click here
Ce manuel peut être utilisé comme ressource lors de la planification de votre prochaine campagne. Il contient certaines des tactiques et considérations clés nécessaires à l'élaboration d'une campagne réussie.Cliquez ici
This checklist can be used as a resource by trustees during a campaign.Click here
Provincial Legislation and Resources
- The Education Act lists eligibility requirements, trustee responsibilities amongst other legal requirements for trustees and candidates.
- The Local Authorities Election Act is the elections law currently governing school board trustee elections in Alberta.
- Municipal elections overview is the Government of Alberta’s webpage for election results, and election and post-election resources.
Municipal Election Forms
The Government of Alberta's information package to assist school boards with conducting an election.Click here
The Government of Alberta's school board elections information package, regulations and sample documents.Click here
School Board Resources
School boards have a variety of resources available for candidates, including bylaw information, checklists, forms and information sessions.
- Black Gold: Leduc election bylaw information
- Elk Island Public School Division: Ward and electoral subdivision information
- Fort McMurray: General information
- Grande Prairie: General information
- Lethbridge: General information
- Medicine Hat: Information for school board candidates
- Red Deer:
- Wetaskiwin: Board of trustee information
- Wheatland: General information