School boards conduct business and connect with Premier of Alberta at Alberta School Boards Association’s 2022 Fall General Meeting
Alberta School Boards Association (ASBA) member school boards passed six resolutions and heard remarks from the Honourable Danielle Smith, Premier of Alberta, as part of ASBA’s Fall General Meeting
November 22, 2022, Edmonton, AB — Alberta School Boards Association’s (ASBA) 61 members, Alberta’s locally-elected public, catholic and francophone school boards, came together from November 21-22, 2022, at ASBA’s Fall General Meeting Business Session and MLA Breakfast. In attendance to bring remarks and meet with ASBA members was the Honourable Danielle Smith, Premier of Alberta, and the Honourable Adriana LaGrange, Minister of Education.
Six resolutions were passed by members, which will guide ASBA’s provincial advocacy on behalf of members:
Effects of New and Changing Legislation on School Boards
- BE IT RESOLVED THAT, the Alberta School Boards Association reinforce to the Premier and all ministries that have an impact on education, that ASBA be consulted when changes are being considered to legislation and regulations, as well as changes to established programs across ministries that may have implications to school boards.
Shared Responsibilities to Students (Standards for Special Education (Amended 2004)
- BE IT RESOLVED THAT, ASBA advocate to the Minister of Education to establish a cross-ministry task force to review the Standards for Special Education, involving key educational stakeholders and that ASBA advocate for a clear timeline for implementation.
Shared Responsibilities to Students (Child and Youth Wellbeing Review Report)
- BE IT RESOLVED THAT, ASBA advocate to the Province of Alberta to bring together education partners and associated child-centred ministries, agencies, and organizations to enact the recommendations of the December 2021 Child and Youth Wellbeing Review report to enhance cross-ministry support.
September 30 National Day for Truth and Reconciliation
- BE IT RESOLVED THAT, the ASBA advocate to the Alberta Government to declare September 30 as a statutory holiday for the recognition of the National Day for Truth and Reconciliation.
Opposition to Voucher System
- BE IT RESOLVED THAT, ASBA oppose a voucher system for Alberta students.
Provincial Direction Regarding Mask Mandates Within School Divisions
- BE IT RESOLVED THAT, the Alberta School Boards Association urge the Province to leave medical decisions and masking to the Chief Medical Officer of Health.
Alberta School Boards Association (ASBA) serves Alberta’s 61 locally-elected public, catholic and francophone school boards. For more information visit, asba.ab.ca.
Director of Communications, ASBA